Backyard Wildlife Habitat Certification
In order to achieve certification and join the property owners already helping to improve habitat, please follow the these few simple steps:
- Print out and complete the National Wildlife Federation's Application for Certification (PDF) and the Sustainable Gardening Checklist (PDF). You may also pick up forms at the Ashland Nature Center's visitor services.
- After reviewing the application, you can contact the Delaware Nature Society's Backyard Habitat Coordinator Greg Gagliano, at 302-239-2334 ext. 142 at Ashland Nature Center to schedule a free consultation by a trained Habitat Steward.
- Habitat Stewards are volunteers trained by the Delaware Nature Society to assist you with the creation of habitats that are wildlife-friendly and good for the environment. The Stewards can help you evaluate your property and meet the requirements for food, water, cover, and a place to raise young for wildlife, as well as reducing nonpoint source pollution.
- Send all completed materials (National Wildlife Federation application and Sustainable Gardening Checklist) to:
Backyard Habitat Program
Delaware Nature Society
P.O. Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
NOTE: $20, payable to National Wildlife Federation, is required for processing and handling services. Please allow six to eight weeks. The fee is nonrefundable.
Your efforts are valuable to wildlife and our environment and are worthy of recognition. Once certified you will:
- Receive a personalized certificate, recognizing your yard as an official Backyard Wildlife Habitat site.
- Be assigned your own unique number. This allows the National Wildlife Federation and the Delaware Nature Society to map certified habitats and determine where wildlife corridors are located and pinpoint specific watersheds that would benefit from the Backyard Wildlife Habitat program.
- Receive a lifetime E-mail subscription to the Habitats, a quarterly National Wildlife Federation newsletter, free of charge.
Your habitat provides an opportunity to educate and inspire others in your community .